Cross Country Drive
If you are the adventurous type, one can drive to Puerto Carreño in the dry season (January to April), taking Route 40 on pavement to Puerto Gaitan in Meta. From Puerto Gaitan onward it is highly recommended to travel in a 4 X 4 vehicle, continuing on gravel roads to La Primavera in Vichada, spending the night there and then continuing on to Puerto Carreño, all still Route 40. From Bogotá it is a comfortable 3 day trip thru Colombia.
The Macarena bus fleet offers a dry season bus service to Puerto Carreño from Villavicencio. Unless you are young and don't mind difficult travel conditions, this is probably the least desirable option. It is possible to charter a plane from Villavicencio or Yopal to Puerto Carreño in Vichada.
- Satena offers several flights a week to and from Puerto Carreño.
- The river bus from Puerto Gaitan to Puerto Carreño is wet season only.
- It is possible to drive in a 4 X 4 to Puerto Carreño in the dry season.
- The Macarena fleet offers dry season bus service to Puerto Carreño.
- One can charter flights from Villavicencio or Yopal to Puerto Carreño.